Our History

Through the generous support of the Dineen family and our alumni and friends, Syracuse University College of Law was given the opportunity to design a new generation of law school–one that would continue to prepare students with a future-ready legal education and provide the tools they needed to move out into the professional world and practice law. The result: the 200,000 square foot Dineen Hall, a distinctive new five-story, state-of-the-art facility designed to bring everything into a single, elegant, adaptive space.

Dineen Hall symbolizes the SU College of Law’s redefinition of legal education. Stressing litigation techniques, client advocacy, and critical writing skills, the College of Law focuses on each individual student’s success. Dineen Hall provides the modern space, tools, and environment to make that a reality.

1895

College of Law opens with James B. Brooks as dean. Twenty-three students begin classes in Bastable Block with tuition set at $100 per year.

1900

The College of Law joined as a charter member of the Association of American Law Schools.

1903

First female graduate Bessie Seely receives a J.D. degree.

William H. Johnson, graduates as the first African-American from the College of Law.

1904

College of Law moves to John Crouse Mansion.

1915

College of Law enrollment included 229 men and women, including three students from Puerto Rico.

1918

World War 1 senior class dropped to 30 students.

1923

The College of Law became accredited by the American Bar Association.

1938

Board of Visitors established, represented by prominent alumni and friends who displayed a marked interest in the college’s progress.

1944

World War II enrollment dropped to 32 students.

1949

First issue of Syracuse Law Review appeared J. Edgar Hoover served as guest contributor.

1952

College moved to Ernest I. White Hall, which currently holds classrooms, faculty and staff offices, and Grant Auditorium.

1961

Launched the International Legal Studies Program, responding to the demand for lawyers to represent American business in foreign transactions.

1974

Judith Younger was named the first female dean of the College of Law.

1985

Dedication of the Barclay Law Library, a modern four-level building designed to house 240,000 volumes.

1980

Enrollment of women reached 40 percent.

1977

The College of Law began Law in London program.

1990

First students enrolled in the Law, Technology, and Management program.

1995

Barclay Law Library contained more than 327,000 volumes and developed important collections in the areas of legal education, legal history, New York State law, among others. Applied Learning Centers formed at the College of Law.

1998

Winifred MacNaughton Hall opened and housed new court rooms, classrooms, and student office space.

Winifred and Donald MacNaughton celebrate the 1998 opening of Winifred MacNaughton Hall, which houses the Office of Clinical Legal Education, courtrooms and legal centers.

2002

Hannah R. Arterian, was named the second female dean of the college.

2008

The prestigious NY state Bar Association Tiffany Cup was won by students in 2008 for the 13th time.

2012

Our new spacious apartment homes — opening in fall 2012 — will be located just steps away from the law school. Amenities will include: a fully-outfitted fitness center; washers, dryers and a full kitchen; internet and cable TV; and a computer lab.

2012

First class enrolled into the Master of Laws (LL.M.) in American Law Program

2014

Opening Fall, 2014, the 200,000 square foot Dineen Hall marks the beginning of Syracuse University’s west campus expansion.

Our History

Through the generous support of the Dineen family and our alumni and friends, Syracuse University College of Law was given the opportunity to design a new generation of law school–one that would continue to prepare students with a future-ready legal education and provide the tools they needed to move out into the professional world and practice law. The result: the 200,000 square foot Dineen Hall, a distinctive new five-story, state-of-the-art facility designed to bring everything into a single, elegant, adaptive space.

Dineen Hall symbolizes the SU College of Law’s redefinition of legal education. Stressing litigation techniques, client advocacy, and critical writing skills, the College of Law focuses on each individual student’s success. Dineen Hall provides the modern space, tools, and environment to make that a reality.

1895

College of Law opens with James B. Brooks as dean. Twenty-three students begin classes in Bastable Block with tuition set at $100 per year.

1900

The College of Law joined as a charter member of the Association of American Law Schools.

1903

First female graduate Bessie Seely receives a J.D. degree.

William H. Johnson, graduates as the first African-American from the College of Law.

1904

College of Law moves to John Crouse Mansion.

1915

College of Law enrollment included 229 men and women, including three students from Puerto Rico.

1918

World War 1 senior class dropped to 30 students.

1923

The College of Law became accredited by the American Bar Association.

1938

Board of Visitors established, represented by prominent alumni and friends who displayed a marked interest in the college’s progress.

1944

World War II enrollment dropped to 32 students.

1949

First issue of Syracuse Law Review appeared J. Edgar Hoover served as guest contributor.

1952

College moved to Ernest I. White Hall, which currently holds classrooms, faculty and staff offices, and Grant Auditorium.

1961

Launched the International Legal Studies Program, responding to the demand for lawyers to represent American business in foreign transactions.

1974

Judith Younger was named the first female dean of the College of Law.

1977

The College of Law began Law in London program.

1980

Enrollment of women reached 40 percent.

1985

Dedication of the Barclay Law Library, a modern four-level building designed to house 240,000 volumes.

1990

First students enrolled in the Law, Technology, and Management program.

1995

Barclay Law Library contained more than 327,000 volumes and developed important collections in the areas of legal education, legal history, New York State law, among others. Applied Learning Centers formed at the College of Law.

1998

Winifred MacNaughton Hall opened and housed new court rooms, classrooms, and student office space.

Winifred and Donald MacNaughton celebrate the 1998 opening of Winifred MacNaughton Hall, which houses the Office of Clinical Legal Education, courtrooms and legal centers.

2000

First students enrolled in the Law, Technology, and Management program.

2002

Hannah R. Arterian, was named the second female dean of the college.

2008

The prestigious NY state Bar Association Tiffany Cup was won by students in 2008 for the 13th time.

2012

Our new spacious apartment homes — opening in fall 2012 — will be located just steps away from the law school. Amenities will include: a fully-outfitted fitness center; washers, dryers and a full kitchen; internet and cable TV; and a computer lab.

2014

Opening Fall, 2014, the 200,000 square foot Dineen Hall marks the beginning of Syracuse University’s west campus expansion.